Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Baby Time

     When Weston and I got married he still had 3 years of school left. We talked about when we wanted to have kids and decided right before started dental school would be a good time to have our first. The longer we were married, the more baby hungry I got. I would see other girls getting pregnant with their first and then second babies. It felt like everyone was getting pregnant! I would tell Weston my uterus was getting dusty and try to convince him we should start trying sooner, but he wasn't having it. It wasn't that he didn't want to have kids, he just knew that sticking to the plan was the right thing for us. Plus, since Weston is 3 years younger than me, I think he didn't feel completely ready. The closer it got to us trying, the more I wanted to push the time up a little. I would say "trying one month sooner than we planned wouldn't hurt." Weston would tell me all the reasons why we needed to wait until we planned and I would reluctantly agree with him.

     Before I met Weston my OB told me I had mild PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome). I knew this could lessen the chances of us getting pregnant or at least getting pregnant quickly. I kept telling myself that the longest it took my sisters or my mom was 4 months so I would be fine, but you never know. I stopped taking my birth control in July and we started really trying in August. Trying to have a baby is so unromantic. It really is a miracle that people get pregnant at all with such a limited window for everything to happen in your body. While on birth control I was very regular, but before I was on it I was not. So, once I stopped taking it I expected to go back to being somewhat irregular. It was really stressful, though, when I was 'late' because it could just be my body getting back to normal. I took a pregnancy test in August, even though we weren't really trying in July, because I was 7 days late. It was negative which wasn't a huge surprise, but still a little disappointing. In September, I was 2 days late, so I decided to take another pregnancy test. Negative. This one was a lot more disappointing because we really had been trying. Weston kept telling me that it would happen and I knew I couldn't be too upset since it only had been a month. In October, I was a week late so I took a pregnancy test and it was negative. Another few days went by with no period and another pregnancy test that was negative. I was so confused why my body was messing with me, but knew it could be that I was stressing out too much. A couple days later I took a test when I woke up for work and saw a very faint positive! I whispered to Weston that he was going to be a Daddy and he just smiled.

   Having the job that I do I was checking myself multiple times a week. I would look to see if my endometrium was getting thicker or if there was a gestational sac, but I wasn't seeing anything when I should have been 6 weeks. Finally, my friend scanned me and saw a little 5 week gestational sac! A week later we saw a little heartbeat. It was really exciting, but everything that could be wrong started running through my head. I always said I wouldn't be one of those crazy people that stressed about every little thing that could happen, but seeing so many of those things with my job just heightened the stress. I went to the OB  for my first trimester check when I should have been about 9 weeks. When the tech did my ultrasound I was only 7 weeks 1 day. It finally made sense why the pregnancy test took so long to show a positive and for us to see anything in my uterus. I must have ovulated really late because they pushed my due date back 10 days from what it should have been.

First trimester was rough, but not as bad as I'm sure it could have been. I threw up about 6 times total and I was nauseous quite a bit. I felt bad for Weston because I didn't want to cook at all! Everything sounded disgusting to me and eating just made me feel more sick. Seeing the Thanksgiving commercials on TV even made me sick. I finally got some anti nausea pills from my OB, which helped a lot. I also had a weird after taste in my mouth all the time.The nauseousness eventually subsided and I was able to start eating normally after the first trimester.

 7 weeks

 11 weeks

14 weeks

No comments: